A few things about this recipe though. It has a relatively small ingredient list but this meal can be kind of lengthy to prepare because of the eggplant as you will read below. There is some debate on the internet over the necessity to salt the slices of eggplant to leech the bitterness. I do it anyway but, a lot of the bitterness in the eggplant is in the peel.
Baked Eggplant with Mushroom-Tomato SauceFrom: Cheap Healthy Good
1 peeled eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (about 1 1/4 pounds)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 (8-ounce) mushrooms, sliced
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided
2/3 cup (about 3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1) Salt eggplant slices and place in colander on top of a plate. After 30 minutes, rinse eggplant thoroughly and pat down with paper towels.
2) Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and spray with cooking spray.
3) Lay eggplant out on the sheet. Broil 8 minutes, flipping once, until both sides are a little brown.
4) Turn oven to 375°F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart baking dish (round if possible) with cooking spray.
5) In a large nonstick pan or skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic, and mushrooms. Cover. Saute 7 or 8 minutes, until soft, lifting cover to stir occasionally. Jack heat up to medium-high. Take cover off. Cook a few more minutes (not more than 4 or 5) "until liquid evaporates."
6) Pour 1/2 mushroom/onion mixture into baking dish. Place 1/2 of the eggplant in a layer on top of that. "Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper." Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on top of the eggplant. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat layers, leaving off the mozzarella at the end. Cover (with tin foil or dish lid) and bake 60 minutes. Uncover. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup mozzarella and all the parmesan. Bake 5 minutes. Cheese should melt. Remove from oven and cool for a few minutes.