Friday, July 1, 2011

Mushroom Barley Soup with Fresh Herbs

This is something new I tried for us last week. I will state now that I am far from vegan however that doesn't keep me from indulging in such recipes. I am always wanting to cook things that are tasty and not entirely terrible for you! Andy and I are pretty adventurous or perhaps he is just a wonderfully tolerant husband.

This recipe comes from Post Punk Kitchen. I cannot recommend their website and cookbooks enough. Andy bought me The Veganomicon for Xmas a couple of years ago and it is a great cookbook. I haven't picked up the latest release from them, Appetite For Reduction, but it is d
efinitely going onto my wishlist.

xXx

Mushroom Barley Soup with Fresh Herbs
From: Post Punk Kitchen

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 vidalia onion, thinly sliced (a regular yellow onion is fine, too!)
8 oz cremini mushroom, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 average sized zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch thick half moons
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 average sized tomato, diced
3/4 cups uncooked pearled (quick cooking) barley
6 cups vegetable broth
Fresh black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Herb mix:
3 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
3 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
3 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
2 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme

Preheat a 4 quart pot over medium heat. Saute the onion in olive oil with a pinch of salt until translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add the mushrooms and zucchini, and cook until slightly softened and some of the moisture has been released, about 5 more minutes. Mix in the garlic and saute for a minute or so.

Add celery, tomato, barley, broth, pepper and salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, add herbs, cover again and cook until barley is tender, about 10 minutes. Salt and season to taste. For best results, let it sit for at least 10 minutes uncovered so that the flavors can marry. Serve garnished with extra herbs.

xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment